Tuesday 2 November 2010

Fried minced meat with vegetables


I like to use minced meat a lot as it is cheap and quick to prepare and -as long as opting for the lower fat version- it is healthy too. In my beginning cooking adventures (that would be the start of my marriage, though I did try it before) I found it frustrating finding recipes always involving some sort of tomatoes especially as my husband and daughter aren’t keen on sauces containing tomatoes. So one day I made my own version which is super healthy, quick to prepare and above all loved by my small family. The beauty of this recipe is that you can use (almost) any vegetables you like. I tend to stick to the cheaper vegetables such as carrots, celery, peas and sweet corn.


Ingredients:
Oil- Olive oil, vegetable oil
Half onion- chopped finely
2-3 garlic gloves-chopped finely
(1tsp ginger)
500 g minced meat (I use either beef or pork)
A couple of carrots –like 3-5- chopped into small cubes
2 celery stalks- chopped into small cubes
1 pepper- chopped into small cubes
Peas
Sweet corn
Salt, Pepper
Sugar
Herbs finely chopped- spring onion and parsley work well

   






Preparation
1.Heat oil in a frying pan.
2.Fry the onion and garlic (and ginger) for about 5 minutes.
3.Brown the for 5- 10 minutes
   4. Add the carrots, celery and pepper and cook for a further 10 minutes.
5.Add the frozen peas and canned sweet corn for a further 3 more minutes.
6.Season well and add a pinch of sugar.
7.Add the herbs.
I hope you will love this recipe as much as I do.
Alternative tip: pork chopped into small cubes works well in this recipe, too  



No comments:

Post a Comment